Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Distributor vacuum port

Steve56chevytruckUK Steve56chevytruckUK
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 03/06/14
07:04 AM

Hi

I am nearing the end of a 3 year rebuild of my 56 chevy truck. I have replaced the intake manifold and carb with an edelbrock set up. In the instructions for the carb there is a choice of ports for the vacuum line from the distributor depending on whether it has a timed (no vacuum at idle) or full vacuum at idle. The carb manual says if you are not sure whether it is of a no vacuum or full vacuum type run the engine before swapping the carb and pull off the vacuum line and test it. I cant do do this as the old carb was pulled off at the start of the rebuild and wouldn't fit the new inlet manifold anyway.

The engine is a 238 V8 with a stock distributor. Does anyone know what the vacumm choice would be (no vacuum or full vacuum at idle)?

I hope this makes sense.

thanks Steve  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 10/13
09:39 AM

there is a LOT of discussion for either..

most people run manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance.  so at idle there is full advance.

this also work like a auto retard.. as when there is a load on the engine the advance is reduced. .. a good thing.

the trick is to use a timing light with an adjustable advance ability.. set the timing at 3200 RPMS.. so its at the max timing.. thats where it counts..

which engine is in that truck...

chevy made 265, 283, 327, 307, 305, a tiny 267 and a 262..  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
03:33 PM

Hey guys,
  I think Steve has the original 283 if I remember he was working on the clutch and dust cover last year...  

mik13usa mik13usa
03:33 PM

Hey guys,
  I think Steve has the original 283 if I remember he was working on the clutch and dust cover last year...
sorry for the fat finger double reply  

Posted: 03/07/14
01:02 AM

Hi Mike

That's right I think it is the original engine 283 was not supposed to be fitted until 57 but the truck was built November 56 so it may have got one of the newer engines that year. That is my guess anyway because the rest of the truck was absolutely stock when I got it.

Thanks for the help last year as well, I got my clutch cover from Classic Industries.

Just got to finish my power steering conversion and get body panels to paint shop and it's done!

Steve  

Posted: 03/07/14
01:03 AM

Hi Mike

That's right I think it is the original engine 283 was not supposed to be fitted until 57 but the truck was built November 56 so it may have got one of the newer engines that year. That is my guess anyway because the rest of the truck was absolutely stock when I got it.

Thanks for the help last year as well, I got my clutch cover from Classic Industries.

Just got to finish my power steering conversion and get body panels to paint shop and it's done!

Steve  

mik13usa mik13usa
Posted: 03/12/14
08:20 AM

Great news Steve,
 I hope you are able to send some pictures when you get it all finished!