1949 - 51 CHevy 3100 Pickup Replace Driver's Side Door Latch

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1949 - 51 CHevy 3100 Pickup Replace Driver's Side Door Latch

cmcdes cmcdes
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/28/14
05:32 PM

I bought my 51 Chevy 3100 about two months ago from my brother who restored it over several years.  It's got a 350 with 14,000 miles on it and overall the truck is nearly show quality.  Get compliments everywhere I go.

The doors have always been clunky to close and yesterday the latch on the driver's side failed.  The door will not close all the way and the latch is apparently messed up.  It's no longer spring activated and flops around.  Anyway, after work today I unbolted most everything except the window mechanism and the outside handle won't pull out and apparently the window channel guide is in the way of the latch coming out as well.  I removed the two bottom bolts for the window guide channel and was wondering if it's supposed to just slide down and out of the way?  I just didn't want to force anything, not being able to see much of anything and how it's fastened together inside the door.  Would a shop manual cover this procedure?  Are they available? Have any of you removed and replaced the latch assembly on a 49-51 3100?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chuck  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 06/04/14
01:37 PM

its been a few days and nobody has answered.. i have not done this.. so its beyond my knowledge.. and i did look for info on how to get it out...

i did find this and forgot to post it the other day..

its more than you might want to perform.. but its what is going on...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/1202cct_bear_claw_latch_install/

please post if you got it out.. and pictures if you can..   use photobucket. its free..