To Mod or Not To Mod?

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

To Mod or Not To Mod?

rsiple rsiple
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/04/14
09:47 PM

I, uhum - my wife, has inherited her fathers 1968 C10 Custom Series Longbed with a 307, 2BBL, Auto Trans, power brakes, no power steering, no A/C.

It is all original front to back. He ordered it from the dealer in 68'. I have the build sheet and purchase order. He kept it in the garage its entire life and it only has 38K miles. I put new tires and wheels on it to make it handle better but I am now having to replace all the rubber components - motor mounts, body bushings, etc. Although I've got the green light from the boss, do I take this opportunity (while she is in the mood to spend the money) to upgrade the intake, exhaust, and ignition etc. to make it run better and a bit stronger or should I just keep it factory stock?

Looking for some opinions...  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 03/12/14
08:27 AM

My opinion???
  new carb and manifold make it more drivable, just from an economy standpoint as well as reliability. the 307 was a good workhorse but the stock iron manifold and carb were limited. A new ignition alone will get rid of the headaches associated with old electronics... but your biggest gain will be exhaust. If I remember correctly the "boat anchor" exhaust manifolds were just way too restrictive. AGAIN just my opinion, I have no idea what a truck that vintage would be "worth" other than to an original owner or someone that loves bone stock trucks...  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 03/12/14
08:27 AM

My opinion???
  new carb and manifold make it more drivable, just from an economy standpoint as well as reliability. the 307 was a good workhorse but the stock iron manifold and carb were limited. A new ignition alone will get rid of the headaches associated with old electronics... but your biggest gain will be exhaust. If I remember correctly the "boat anchor" exhaust manifolds were just way too restrictive. AGAIN just my opinion, I have no idea what a truck that vintage would be "worth" other than to an original owner or someone that loves bone stock trucks...