fuel sending unit

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel sending unit

sheryl sheryl
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/23/13
02:52 PM

1953 chevy truck- I replaced the sending unit in the gas tank. when the tank is empty, the gas gauge reads a little over a quarter tank. how do I make it read right???  

hotrodace hotrodace
User | Posts: 156 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 05/23/13
08:19 PM

Let me see if I can jump in here.
If you have or know someone with an multi meter that reads ohms go and get it.
If I remember correct your sender should read between 0 and 90 ohms and the gauge should be factory calibrated to this range. Unless you have some type of special aftermarket gauge they aren't adjustable that I know of.
Usually Wayne jumps on the forum with a lot of diagrams and info to help so check back in a few days to see.
Pull the sender back out of the tank. Clamp one lead of the meter (set to ohms and looks like a horse shoe) to the metal ring. Clamp the other lead (or just hold it) on the insulated stud your wire would go to.
When the float is at bottom note the reading. When the float is at the top note the reading. You should see 0 at one position and approx. 90 at the other.
You can get a potentiometer from radio shack and see what ohms the gauge spans by applying the 12 VDC source through the pot and then perform the ohms reading in the same manner.
Also remember a good ground wire from the metal ring on the sender to the frame rail is a good thing too.
Let us know how you make out  

sheryl sheryl
Posted: 05/24/13
06:26 AM

thanks for the reply! i'll get a meter then. this may sound stupid but since there is gas in the tank now, is there any danger of sparks or explosion?  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
08:52 AM

Sheryl,
 Not stoopid when it comes to safety. No, most ohmeters or voltmeters are VERY low voltage, the only thing that you need to be careful of is any lit flame or pilot light near the tank when you lift the sending unit and any type of electro-static discharge (rub your feet on the rug) shock! Wear safety glasses and be careful...  

sheryl sheryl
01:21 PM

okay! thanks.