tci weld in motor mounts

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

tci weld in motor mounts

walterm walterm
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/06/13
07:25 AM

Hi I am looking for some help. I an ready to weld in my motor mounts on my 55 second series pickup. I have a TCI IFS front suspension and my question is how far forward should the engine sit. I have heard the #2 spark plug on a SBC should be parallel with the axle center line is that correct? I also heard it should be #1 spark plug.

Thanks Walter  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 11/07/13
08:04 AM

i know you are waiting.. but i don't personally have an answer for you...

but that's just my brain files.  

in theory.. setback between the #1 spark plug and the #2 spark plug is only about an inch or an inch and a half.. again.. something i actually have not measured..

at some point in the past.. i seem to recall one company renting the plastic engines for mock up..  but its been years..

might be interesting.. to make a pair of jigs...

one thats bolted to a small block on the stand...  so you get some bolt holes for the exhaust manifold flanges.. for the motor mount brackets.. the oil pan..  and a cross bar between the back of the exhaust manifold brackets. with a changeable ring to duplicate the size of an HEI.. or a small cap distributor..

then built the inner jig off that one.. so you can hang various parts like headers.. oil pan.. starter... motor mounts on it..

i hate for you to get it in too far back.. where it won't let you drop the distributor in... or so far forward.. that you cannot get a fan blade on the water pump... or worse... need to make big cuts to the oil pan...  

walterm walterm
Posted: 11/08/13
08:15 AM

Thanks for the reply. Mounts are going in this weekend one way or the other, going with #2 plug wish me luck LOL  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 37 | Joined: 10/13
10:17 AM

did you get a chance to call TCI????

or have an engine hanging on a cherry picker to see if the oil pan and headers will clear..

i have a better idea..

bend some sheet metal.. to fit up on the engine mounts.. and bend it so it will support the oil pan..

bracket to motor mounts.
\_____/  
-------
oil pan
sump

this would allow you to bolt the engine mounts to it and across the top of the pan.. so you could see where the pan fits the best..

did you see this info

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/1208clt_total_cost_involved_ifs/viewall.html  

walterm walterm
02:25 PM

Thanks and yes. I do have a block and a tranny housing that I will hang in the frame rails. I also have a plasma cutter so if need be I will just cut mounts off and start over. I have emailed and phoned TCI no response. But I am very happy with the product.
Thanks again for all your help.