wheel spacers

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

wheel spacers

Steve56chevytruckUK Steve56chevytruckUK
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 05/15/13
10:57 AM

Has anyone any good or bad experiences with using wheel spacers. I have just fitted a 3" drop axle and disc brakes from CPP to my 56 Chevy truck which undergoing a complete restoration. I went for the 6 lug brake kit because I wanted to keep the original wheels as I like the 56 hub caps and beauty rings. Only problem is the original wheels don't clear the new calipers and I need to gain about 1" clearance. However when looking into spacers and lug adapters on some forums it says using spacers will cause problems with the wheel bearings as the load changes and on some forums it says it doesn't make any difference. I have changed over to roller bearings as part of the upgrade.

the other problem is does pushing the wheels out an inch cause problems with fender clearance now the truck has been lowered (I am not ready to refit the fenders yet as it is still at the chassis rebuild stage)

The truck will only be used for normal road use so I was planning to use spacers unless anyone has any different views?

Thanks if you can help

Steve  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 05/15/13
09:21 PM

Hello Steve,
 just my opinion and experience here: I have a '57 GMC and will be doing something similar to my front end for safety reasons. The stock wheels need at least an inch to clear the disc brake calipers as you stated, although this puts the center of gravity farther outboard of the wheels hub, I have never had any problems that affect the wheel bearing or causing an overload of the tapered roller bearings. (I ran a heavily modified '72 Corvette with spacers for over ten years)

As to any rubbing on the fenders, I really wouldn't think it should if you run stock width tires...

I think the only options that you and I have are the spacers, I don't have the money to have custom stock looking wheels made to clear the calipers.  

Posted: 05/18/13
12:53 AM

Thanks for replying, it is really useful to get another opinion as this is my first classic truck so I am finding my way as I go.

It looks like I need adapters rather than spacers as there isn't enough length on the studs so I am going to try these http://www.ezaccessory.com/6_Lug_Wheel_Adapters_s/46.htm

The CPP brake kit is good if you go that way, the only difficulty I has was driving the new studs in which were an extremely tight fit and took about an hour with a 5 lb hammer.

Good luck with your project and thanks again

Steve  

mik13usa mik13usa
New User | Posts: 44 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 05/18/13
09:32 AM

No problem Steve,
  I hope you get the truck going soon and enjoy it!

Mike  

Scraper Vins Scraper Vins
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 06/09/13
12:10 PM

I used spaces too without problems, be sure that your thread of The wheel bolts are long enough.  
Scrapers CC- the Netherlands

Posted: 06/15/13
11:57 AM

Thanks for replying.

I have found some adapters that bolt to the original studs and then provide new studs as the ones that came with the CPP brake kit will not be long enough.  

radbrad51 radbrad51
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 06/21/13
12:23 PM

I have been running 2" spacers/adapters to run stock rims from a 2010 camaro on my 51' chevrolet pickup.  They have been working great but the one difference I have is that the camaro wheels are at a 40mm offset so I am really still running about the same center of wheel compared to the bearings.