tailights & brake lights

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

tailights & brake lights

Tbeeks Tbeeks
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 05/10/13
06:18 AM

66 chevy C10 they just went out fuses are good any other suggs , I checked the harness plug coming back to the rear and no pwr at the plug. I have 5 fuses on my fuse blk. none ar blown .

HELP waynep !!!!!!  

waynep712222 waynep712222
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 04/13
07:20 AM

there are only 3 wires to the back of the truck...

Brown... tail lights and license plate lights..

yellow   left turn and stop...

dark green.. right turn and stop..

there seem to be 2 sets of connectors.. one at the back of the truck where the tail light harness connects...

another up near the cab or in the cab..

yellow and dark green come directly from the turn signal switch ..

on the turn signal switch there are 8 wires..

yellow..   rear left turn and stop

dark green  rear right turn and stop.

light blue  front left turn and dash indicator

dark blue  front right turn and dash indicator

white..  from the brake light switch into the turn signal switch

black..  out to the horn.. actually the horn contact in the steering wheel connects this to ground.

purple  from the turn signal flasher...

so... with a test light at the turn signal switch connector...

do you have power at the white wire at the turn signal switch when you step on the brake pedal??  yes or no...

can you find the turn signal flasher??   do you have power on both sides.... the diagram i show has purple wires on both sides.. but with the flasher unplugged.. it will only have power on one side. that comes from one of the fuses..  that power comes from the pink wire from the ignition switch.

with the turn signal switch centered.. when you step on the brake pedal...

do you get power on the green and the yellow wires???? showing the tail light contacts inside the turn signal switch is intact...

most test lights are too small to make the turn signal flasher operate.. by just probing the purple wire...

now the brown wire...  comes directly from the headlight switch..   the headlight switch gets power from several sources  ... into the headlight switch is an orange wire.. that also supplies the brake light switch with power.. that comes from the MIDDLE of the 5 fuses..

so...    
white wire at the turn signal switch.. power when the brakes are depressed?? yes is good.

yellow wire at the turn signal switch.. power when switch is centered and brakes depressed.

dark green wire at the turn signal switch .. power when the switch is centered and the brakes depressed..

the 66 model did not have factory installed hazard flashers...  

if you wanted to install a switch to convert to hazard flashers... it takes a 4PDT, ON-ON TOGGLE SWITCH. with the toggle configuration of ON-ON  instead of ON-off. or ON, off ON...  

Tbeeks Tbeeks
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 09/12
04:30 PM

Again thanks i just got home will chk and let you know the outcome , you remember i was also doing the universal turn signal sw. maybe i can get this all squared away .  

waynep712222 waynep712222
New User | Posts: 48 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 05/11/13
08:28 AM

1966 Chevy Truck Wiring Diagram Zps042cee9e