Body work

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Body work

vitocat002 vitocat002
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/21/13
08:19 PM

The rain gutters on my 1972 Chevy pickup's previous owner used bondo and the paint was starting to crack and i noticed rust. I have removed the bondo, but the rust is substancial. One friend suggested i grind the gutter off and weld the seam. Any ideas? (I am not a body man, but can figure most things out)  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 03/21/13
11:00 PM

post some photos at photobucket

paste the links that begin with img here..

there are several members who drop in that do body work and might give you some advice...  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 03/25/13
06:35 PM

I'm a bodyman. I suggest that you do not remove the gutter (also known as "shaving the drip rail") unless you have advanced skills. Mainly because the roof doesn't come out flush with the doors and the new gap looks bad. That body style has enough problems with window frames hitting the drip rails to begin with. The gutter seam is multiple layers so just grinding the rail off leaves a bad edge showing and weakens the cab. Doing the job properly often means replacing the outer roof skin. Repairing the existing drip rail is probably a safer bet for an easy fix.

Like Wayne said, pictures are worth a thousand words and more detailed advice.  
idrivejunk

jerry68 jerry68
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/18/13
06:10 PM

Start a new fad. install seamless gutters and place gutter guard on them that way you wont have to clean them . You can even put down spouts in the back.There's always a wise guy around!