1958 manual trans chevy

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1958 manual trans chevy

lhs70 lhs70
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/22/13
10:54 AM

Need advice-- How to hook up linkage to trans on 1958 chevy truck 3 speed manual, trans has 2 short shafts on side for hooking linkage up to, can someone tell me how the two shafts work and hook up ? is closest shaft for 1st and rev? and farthest shaft for 2nd and third? how do you know they are hooked up right?
Thanks  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 03/23/13
12:32 AM

the shaft closest to the bell housing is 2/3.. the rear most shaft is R/1...

you have  a 3 on the tree steering column and dual shift rods??

the upper /closest to the firewall shift lever sticking out the side of the column goes to the farthest back shift shaft... for R/1

the lower/ closest to the steering box shift lever is 2/3 and goes to the forward shift shaft

i am taking that this is a CONVENTIONAL cab   1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup truck...

not a COB or Heavy duty truck over 1 ton..

as you can see this is a MUCH later version.. but it was easy to find..

Getbigpage?Pageid=58006  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
12:39 AM

you cannot see it in the picture above.. but the 2 levers that stick out the side of the column..

there is either a round, oval or rectangular hole in the levers near the column...  you align the upper and lower lever.. stick a properly sized tool thru it.. either a drill or an allen wrench...  a bolt is possible..  this holds the shift levers in the column solidly in place.. while you adjust the length of the shift rods to slip into the transmission levers perfectly without disturbing their position in neutral..

the upper and lower shift levers on the column align with the tool over an additional fixed metal device with a notch in it for shifter alignment..  

lhs70 lhs70
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 03/13
05:42 AM

Thanks a lot for this information, my truck was a 3 speed on column, but is being converted to 3 speed on floor, can you also recommend a good shifter and linkage to do this?
thanks again I am new to this