Shaved door handle kits

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Shaved door handle kits

DOGG77 DOGG77
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/08/13
09:28 AM

Looking for some info as to what to purchase. I have a 50 chevy pick-up that I am looking to shave the door handles on. The one question is what kit/brand to use because there are many with all kids of prices? The other one is the stock latches and door stops are old and worn out should I replace them with the factory ones or get aftermarket kit such as bear claw? Any help would be great as I would like to buy something correct the first time.
THANKS,
DOGG  

hotrodace hotrodace
User | Posts: 156 | Joined: 03/11
01:29 PM

How goes dog,
I used the Autoloc bear claw on my truck. Back then I bought the KL800 8 channel keyless entry also. I'm happy so far. Door alignment is important but not to tough to work out. The new door gaskets pop the doors out far enough without the need for poppers right now. I think that the original latches are probably made somewhat tougher and maybe just a solenoid to actuate would be just fine. Never tried that but I'm sure it's as nice and somewhat easier as there's no need to rework the strike or latch. I actually put the bear claw latch/solenoid in the cab jamb and made a plate and put the pin on the door. My thinking was if the door glass seal leaked atleast the solenoid and wiring stays dry in the cab. Also I figure the latch and solenoid isn't getting slammed into a pin so probably less jarring being welded/bolted to the cab. I figure the less in the door helps the hinges also. I still have electric windows in the doors but you can't win all the time. If you want I can get some pics later and post some detail for you.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 01/12
05:44 PM

I've installed flush Kindig-It door handles in a few rides where the original idea was to shave. They are pretty neat. But the last one I did was a 57 Chevy truck and we did the bear claw conversion also, called the "Altman Easy Latch" from Trique Manufacturing. I was very impressed with the kit and the function of the latch. Works like a dream! Here is the website for that product:

http://www.triquemfg.com/Altman-Easy-Latch-for-47-51-Chevy-Truck-p/ael07.htm  
idrivejunk