Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

lubricating leaf springs

Steve56chevytruckUK Steve56chevytruckUK
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/05/13
02:44 AM

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a view on whether leaf springs shold be oiled or greased or undersealed or just left as they are. There are lots of different views on the internet on different forums. I am just about to refit the sprngs in my 56 chevy and I have just degreased and wire brushed all the old dirt off. Should I leave it at that?

Thnaks

Steve  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
07:39 PM

it depends on what you plan for the truck...

the last pickup springs i had apart... i used something totally different...

i picked up 2 little tubs of reese teflon hitch ball grease and smeared some between the areas where they touch...

the guy with that pickup is happy.. but this is los angeles where things don't rust..

do you have the PACK apart with the center bolt out???  some springs have slider pads between the leaves...   others have teflon strips assembled into the spring pack..  

406Rich 406Rich
New User | Posts: 38 | Joined: 02/11
10:42 PM

If it were me ...I would pull them apart, wire brush or use a sanding disk and clean them up, nose and slightly taper then ends of each leaf, this keeps the leaves from digging or binding into  each other, prime and paint with rustoleum, you can buy the Teflon leaf liners to go between each leaf from Posi's springs, this will last your life time.  

Steve56chevytruckUK Steve56chevytruckUK
New User | Posts: 42 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/09/13
03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies Wayne and Rich, I hadn't taken the springs apart but I will following your advice. I live in a very damp area by the sea in southern england where the salt air gets to everything eventually I will give the rustoleaum a go. The truck will only be used on the street but will be driven as often as possible.

Thanks again

Steve  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 01/09/13
10:45 PM

there are about 40 different car and truck magazines on this site..

take a look through a bunch of articles from various magazines on leaf springs...

some will help.. some will not.. but the knowledge is free...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/sch/02/leaf-springs/articles/?searchSource=SourceInterlinkMedia