leaf spring removal

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

leaf spring removal

Yeshi Yeshi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/14/13
10:19 PM

Hey guys i really want to lower my 56 ford f100 but am broke as a joke. I heard i can get about a 4 inch drop front and back by removing every other leaf spring. This would be perfect. I know the ride will suck but i will deal with that. My concern is weither or not they will support the weight of the truck with a 351. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 02/16/13
08:58 PM

before you take it apart.. if you have not already done it...

find a truck scale.. and weigh each corner of the truck...   then just the front and just the back of the truck. so you know what each wheel weighs and what each end weighs..

then measure the arc of the spring..   with the truck at current ride height... measure it with the front suspension hanging...   center of the spring eyes to the axle mounting surface.. i don't know if that will be the top of the spring pack or the bottom..

please also measure the center to center length of the spring eyes at ride height   measure the angle of the movable spring perch at both ride height and with the suspension hanging.. so they can get the spring lengths right..   why... when you lower the truck.. the spring becomes flatter and longer.. if you go below ride height.. the perch will be layed back too far as the spring will be seriously longer than stock...

you will probably also want to made a drawing which end of the springs the axle is mounted closest to..

you can with that info.. contact a leaf spring supplier and see if they can create you a set of springs to lower your truck...

i had a friend with a 53.. that tried removing leaves and broke the antique springs..

companies like eaton springs can help you  and it will be safe to drive..