trans

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

trans

kj50chevy kj50chevy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/03/12
12:22 PM

I bought a 1950 chevy truck with an auto trans in it,but want to switch it to a manual.I have a 350 small block.What do I need to do to get that done?I live in ELA where should I go to have it done.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 12/03/12
09:36 PM

compton ave .. just north of washington blvd.. east side of the street.. might be able to help..

there are a LOT of shops around..

i am taking that the drive train has been changed and the 350 engine has a TH350, TH400, 700R4 in it..

do you still have all the clutch pedals and clutch bell cranks or you can convert it to hydraulic clutch..   do you have any parts at all... a transmission.. a bell housing.. flywheel.. clutch disc and cover.. proper flywheel to crank bolts.. proper clutch cover to flywheel bolts.. ready for a different starter.. if the flywheel size is different than the automatic... shifter that will clear your seats..

i am also taking that you have a later rear end.. that will handle the abuse a 4, 5, or 6 speed manual transmission can put out..

i am not trying to talk you out of it.. but .. it's a significant project...

a shift kit and  checking out the stall speed of the torque converter.. depending on what you want to ***

if you are attempting to increase fuel economy...  there are transmissions with lock up torque converters available..  there are also overdrive transmissions available..

a lot of fuel economy can be picked up by monitoring your air fuel ratio during idle.. idle transition.. the main circuits and the power enrichment circuit..