Camshaft Swap

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Camshaft Swap

Crabideau Crabideau
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/18/13
08:13 PM

I am getting ready to do some upgrades to my engine and had a question that came up.  I was calling a local shop to get an estimate on a camshaft install.  They mentioned that it is not advisable to do a performance camshaft swap unless you do a full engine rebuild at the same time.  They said this is because the rest of the engine may not be able to handle the increased power.  

My question is, is this a bunch of crap to get me to do a entire engine rebuild or is this legit info meant to help me?  Obviously I am posting this because I am a novice to engine work. If it bolts on I can generally do it but once we get to internals I am lost.

Just in case you need the info.  I have a 78 F-150 with a 400. The cam is an Edelbrock performer series cam, I have most of that series either on the engine already or waiting to be installed. Thanks for the help.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 01/19/13
07:55 AM

there is nothing to stop you from just changing the cam and lifters...

do it your self or try a different shop.. some shops cannot see just a cam swap... they only see the whole monte..

you will probably want to think ahead... 3 piece timing chain set.. new oil pump and pan gasket.. perhaps a water pump... if you have not replaced it recently..

there are about half a dozen articles spread out in the around 40 car and truck magazines on this site that cover 400 ford builds...  this will help with the knowledge of how to and what to ***

wait.. why the oil pump.. because i have been there before.. ford used nice lightweight aluminum housing oil pumps...    great beasts.. but the housing wears and flow drops...  engine damage soon to follow...

a few things... as i have had some friends with these... can you have a friend rock the steering wheel back and forth about a quarter turn while you lay under the front of the truck and feel the crossmember and axle pivot brackets.. make sure they are NOT LOOSE.. . what.. yep.. i have one 78 in the family.. and several friends with them and usually the left front bracket comes loose.. the rivets are there but they are worn allowing the axle pivot bracket to shift on the crossmember.. this repair involves center punching the rivets.. drilling part way through.. knocking the heads off...  using grade 8 flanged bolts and flanged nuts to replace them..  one at a time..  leaving the new bolts slightly loose till you have installed all of them.. then you can use your torque wrench to tighten them..   i have used 1/2" bolts.. but i have also used 9/16 bolts after i redrilled the holes.. but thats me.. and i lined up the plates and snugged some of the bolts to do this drilling..

if you come back and post a reply.. i will dig around for some of the 400 motor build articles..  

Crabideau Crabideau
08:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do have a new water pump and 3 piece timing chain along with some other goodies that I would be installing at the same time.  I hadn't thought about the oil pump though, thanks for the heads up I will look into picking one up.  I hadn't done a lot of searching on the 400 on this site but I will do some searches for it as well.  

Without actually going out to the truck I would be willing to bet that bracket is loose if this is a somewhat common occurrence. This truck has been a work truck all its life... farm, construction, camper/boat towing.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
08:35 AM

to save some time... look at this forum post from a different ford magazine here..

http://forums.musclemustangfastfords.com/70/7790586/transmission-drivetrain/ford-400-modified-performance/

you will have to copy and paste some of them....  

Crabideau Crabideau
Posted: 01/20/13
07:37 PM

Thanks for the links.  A couple of them I had seen, but there was one or two that I hadn't read before.