my truck is very hard to start

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

my truck is very hard to start

scottmlong scottmlong
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/04/13
04:52 PM

hi i have a 1976 scotsdale small block 350 plugs plug wires cap and rotor all new it takes a long time to star my truck but if i take the vacum line off the trany it will start i dont know whats wrong with it please help  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 01/05/13
07:30 PM

is this when you pull the vacuum hose off...  and leave the end of the hose open allowing a vacuum leak???

thats REALLY Strange..

do you normally touch the gas pedal to get it to start cold...

just curious.. does it start and die if you don't pull the hose off...

can you have somebody start it while you observe the carb....  passenger side front is a small device called a choke pull off...  looks like a mini vacuum advance...   it pulls a flat rod inward as soon as it starts... that rod has a lever on it.. its supposed to pull the choke blade open about 3/16"..

this allows the choke to set when you touch the gas.. closing the choke blade fully.. once you start cranking and the engine fires up. the engine starts creating vacuum..

will the truck start if you hold your foot part way on the gas pedal???
how long has it been since the carb was properly rebuilt by somebody who knows carbs.. not exchanged.. that can drag a whole bunch of new issues in..

if you can verify if you have the 2 barrel version or the 4 barrel version.. i might be able to link you to a repair info site on setting the choke properly...

i just finished rebuilding a 77 quadrajet.. so i am quite familiar with them..