Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1967 f100 starting problem

gearjammer426 gearjammer426
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/30/12
07:23 PM

ok Ive never had this issue before.Ihave a 1967 f100 300 6 3spd
I start the truck and the starter stays enguaged even without a key it cranks when connecting the battery
replaced
ignition switch
cylinoid
battery
battery cables
starter cable
Im completely stumped any help will be grately appreciated  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
08:08 PM

change the starter relay... or whack it on the top gently with a hammer... to knock the contact disc loose from the side contacts..

let me describe the cranking circuit..

from the ignition key S circuit...  it goes up to a connector by the inside of the firewall where it would normally connect through the firewall and then down to the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.. back up and into the firewall where it continues through the bulk head connection .. around the engine compartment to the starter relay S terminal...

oh.. guess what... i cooked the starter solenoid terminals on my ford van... i always carry a new solenoid...

i installed the new solenoid...  it was a grey one from... duralast.. it's contacts were closed.. as soon as i hooked up the battery.. it started cranking the engine..

so.... disconnect the push on terminal on the S marked stud  on the starter solenoid..   what happens???

does it start cranking when you hook up the battery???

what colors are the wires on the push on terminals..

on the S terminal..

on the I terminal..

let me describe the I terminal circuit..

the I terminal runs over to the positive side of the ignition coil and onward to the IGN1 terminal on the ignition switch...  

when you turn the key on. the ign1 power comes from the ignition switch to the coil positive.. but there is a resistor wire under the dash to reduce the current to stop from burning the points out ..  but the reduced voltage continues down the wire all the way to the I terminal on the starter solenoid...  

when cranking the engine.. the disc inside the starter solenoid is raised up to bridge the 2 heads of the brass studs to send power to the starter.. but there is a spring contact inside the solenoid  that grabs some voltage when the solenoid is engaged... this sends full battery voltage to the positive side of the ignition coil to create a higher voltage spark for cranking..

so... do your best to describe exactly when it starts cranking..

when you just hook up the battery..

or when you turn the key to the run position..  

or when you turn the key to the cranking position and it does not stop cranking when you release to the run position...  

and does it start cranking when the S  wire is pulled off???  

waynep71222 waynep71222
08:23 PM

here is a 67 ford truck wiring diagram...

wiring-1967ignition-charging-starting-gauges.jpg

circuit 32 32A  and 32 again is the cranking circuit control red with a blue stripe

circuit 262, 16A and 16 are the I and ign 1 circuit to the coil positive..    

262 is brown at the starter relay..
16 is a red and a blue stripe..
16A is a pink resistor wire. usually covered with a black woven loose jacket and is under behind the dashboard.  

gearjammer426 gearjammer426
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/12
08:45 PM

wow alot to take in lol but ok heres what happend
key is off in my pocket
ground on battery is hooked up
I touch the positive terminal to the battery it sparks and truck cranks over and if I hold it on there it will start and the starter does not disenguage
all parts are duralast from local autozone  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Posted: 12/31/12
12:15 PM

return the solenoid to autozone.. ask for another...  they will exchange it..

install the replacement one without pushing the 2 small wires on...

install the negative cable..    touch the positive cable to the positive terminal... does it crank.. i hope not...

hook up the little wires.. blue and red stripe to the S terminal...   brown to the I terminal

see what happens now..