Graft Glass to Steel

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Graft Glass to Steel

Roger-Ohio Roger-Ohio
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 12/11/12
10:44 AM

I keep CCT for reference and I am planning on using panel adhesive on a couple parts of my 51 5-window project.
In the May 2008 issue of CCT, you did an article on using adhesive to bond fiberglass hood scoop to a steel hood. You used SEM Weld-Bond to do the job.
I have a couple of questions.
1. Four years later is the scoop still firmly attached? A current photo would be great to see that this is a permanent solution.  Laugh
2. How did you keep the cleco pins from gluing themselves to the project or to becoming non functional? I would think you would get the adhesive inside the clico and the spring or pin would no longer function. Confused  
51 5 Window IROC

idrivejunk idrivejunk
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 12/13/12
06:22 PM

I didn't see the article but have done quite a bit of bonding with adhesives. Even using top quality products, you'll get cracks eventually any time you bond two unlike materials such as fiberglass and steel. Thermal cycling is what does it, hot and cold and back again. The bond can last for many years and be considered permanent but the seam will eventually show. But you needn't worry about the scoop flying off if done properly. Rule number one is to make the scoop fit with no bending, it has to lay flat on the bonding surface naturally, and needs an inch or so of flange around it for a solid bond.

Usually when bonding steel panels with adhesive, if I can't clamp I use self-tapping sheetmetal screws. Normally if the panels fit well, the screws can be removed after curing and the holes filled with a dab of adhesive. I could never afford clecos, but yeah those might get stuck.

Hope that helps! Smile  
idrivejunk

Roger-Ohio Roger-Ohio
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 12/19/12
07:45 AM

Hi Idrive. Thanks for the reply. The article implied the newer SEM adhesive would last, although the author made no statement on how long a "long time" was. Maybe a long time for a custom in Calif is three or four years.
I do note that few articles ever mention rusting of the back side of welds etc but again the Southwest isn't like Ohio where the cars sweat in the springtime if they haven't been kept in heated garages, so again long term is really subjective.

Thanks for the sheet metal screw suggestion. I think that is the solution as they could even be ground off if necessary and certainly are less expensive than the clicos I have been treasuring for 20+ years.  
51 5 Window IROC