In-cab gas tank question

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

In-cab gas tank question

edparss edparss
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/04/12
09:05 AM

Just bought a 63 Chevy pickup, and am concerned about the material that is between the tank and back wall of the cab. What kind of material is this? Any chance it may contain asbestos? It is kind of hard and brittle and deteriorating. (I have little grandkids that may be riding in this, and I don't want to expose them to anything dangerous.) Thanks...  

406Rich 406Rich
New User | Posts: 38 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 11/04/12
09:55 AM

I believe they just used tarred paper as these trucks that had incab tanks tend to sweat, do to cold gas and the interior tends to heat up in the sun everything in the cab gets moist from the green house effect.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 11/06/12
05:58 PM

its more than likely TAR paper...   was there any asbestos content in it..??? tar paper did have some.. as long as you have not broken it up... or if you have removed it.. you have cleaned up...

there is probably more danger from brake dust off the OLD BRAKE SHOES than any fibers in the tar paper behind the tank..

if you have issues with your gas cap fitting the top of the filler neck snugly..  you might want to do some measuring.. perhaps change it to the unleaded style filler neck with the threaded in cap..

taking a measuring device and a muffler chain or plier type rolling exhaust  cutter to the wrecking yard to remove the end of a properly sized filler neck.. so you can install it..  

hotrodace hotrodace
User | Posts: 156 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 11/08/12
10:51 PM

While your doing waynep's suggested mod to the filler neck and cap you can get some cork tape and Armaflex for the strap mount and outer tank wall. Remove the old material in question and install known clean stuff. I'd make plan's for tank out back. Never did like the thought of fuel sprayed on me in a corner cab T bone hit. After that sparks your behind on fire the free air asbestos doesn't much matter.  

hotrodace hotrodace
Posted: 11/08/12
11:17 PM

WOOO HOOO, ....I got 99 posts going for 100 here at CCT....Ain't we havin' fun now?  

edparss edparss
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/27/12
11:29 AM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone...  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 11/28/12
07:19 AM

tank in cab issues.. /funnies..

my family has had a 70 F250 camper special since 73..  360, 4 speed. no power anything..
at one point mom and dad were going somewhere in it..  mom always drove.. dad tail gated and drove mom crazy.. but dad pumped the gas... at the local gas station here in hollywood..  dad dropped the powerine station tokens into the pump..  turned and proceeded to pump the gas into the filler opening.. but dad had noticed a beautiful woman in the next idle.. was watching her instead of where he was pointing the nozzle...   proceeded to spray gasoline through the truck window all over mom..  

hotrodace hotrodace
Posted: 11/29/12
09:43 PM

Ya ha ha!   Thats a goodie, wayne!