283 plug wire diagram/pictures

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

283 plug wire diagram/pictures

65suburban2 65suburban2
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 10/13/12
06:59 PM

Does anyone have a picture of how they ran the plug wires(stock type) on a 64-66 Chevy truck? Mine are so long, that I have them under the splash shields etc, as I cant get to the bracket on the back of the block. The 4 left bank wires are over the top of the valve cover, and the right bank wires are under my splash shield. Motor is a 283, 4BBL. Also, whats the easiest way to shorten the wires, and put new ends on them? I tried this once, and the ends wouldn't stay on, and it seemed like I was crushing the wires putting on the ends.
Thanks everyone
Paul  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 10/14/12
08:32 AM

perhaps this might help..

1969 Chevrolet Small Block V8 327 Spark Plug Wiring Lt Lwr Rear

there are various sizes and brands of spark plug wire crimping tools..

from around 10 bucks for some that mount in a vice and you hammer on the top piece while holding it in vice grips...  to several hundred dollars...  

65suburban2 65suburban2
07:50 PM

Thanks Wayne. I'm eventually going to pull the motor to replace the mounts, so I'll run the wires the way they're supposed to be. i'm also going to check into a crimper and maybe even shorten the wires.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
08:24 PM

spark plug wires can be had cheeply...

buy a set for something in the early 70s...

with straight spark plug boots...  i don't recall which application they are for..

usually they will have 2 90 degree boots for 7 and 8.. but straight boots for everything else..

go out and over the exhaust manifolds..

by the way.. you can replace the wires without pulling the mounts. but its NOT easy...

i am taking that you still are using a window type cap that needs 7mm wires..

not an HEI.. big cap or even a small HEI cap..

be sure to pressure wash the underside of the motor and the crossmember before trying this..

you may also want to watch the sales at harbor freight for a item 96524... listed when you search for transmission...

Image 11976

man.. do these make changing motor mounts EASY...  

65suburban2 65suburban2
Posted: 10/18/12
11:12 AM

Hey Wayne. Thanks for the tips. Only reason I'm going to pull the motor, is one of my motor mounts is only held to the block with one bolt, so I might as well reoplace them while it's up. I am using a window style cap, with the Ignitor kit. What vehicle would have the small diameter HEI distributor as I don't have enough room for the larger unit? And one last thing, would the wires with straight boots work to clear my ram horn manifolds? I have fashioned some wire brackets using the original 2 wire pieces that bolt to block below plugs and older "tower" style that used the plastic dividers.  

406Rich 406Rich
New User | Posts: 38 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 10/21/12
07:24 AM

The factory or aftermarket HEI will fit your truck, you need to install the dizzy without the cap on, then install the cap, it will be real close to the fire wall and or one plug boot up against the fire wall, if you want a small base distrutor MSD sells one, Mallory unilite is a small base distributor, or install the Petronix system in your stock distributor...I am currently using straight plug boots, up and over the top of the valve covers with ram horn exhaust, also using full size MSD HEI.