Motor Mounts

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Motor Mounts

65suburban2 65suburban2
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 07/12
Posted: 09/11/12
12:50 PM

Somehow I have lost 2 of the bolts that hold my motor mount to my engine, and the center bolt that holds it to the frame is loose. What is the easiest way to re-bolt it back to the the block, and tighten the center bolt with the engine in the truck? Motor is a 283 hooked to a TH350-'65 Suburban  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 09/12/12
01:17 PM

you have several options to lift the motor...

a conventional cherry picker.. and working between the legs of the picker under the truck... good for skinny guys...

a floor jack and a chunk of 2x6... with a V notch cut in one end.. so the crank pulley or damper has less chance of rolling off while you jack it up...   warning.. use extreme care..  you can bend your crank pulleys.

one of the best ways i have found.. is to use a engine support bar that has rubber feet.. usually used for removing front wheel drive transmissions.. by supporting the engine while you drop the cross member and the transmission...

Image 11976

these are about 60 bucks at HF on sale.. there are tool rental yards that have them for rent also...

these are normally designed to fit on the inner fender ledge... not always directly on the top of the sheet metal.. but if you use care.. you probably can if you keep it close to the hood opening..  

before i got one.. i always had to fight to get the engines up high enough to knock out freeze plugs. . drop the pans..  even to change the starters on some front wheel drive versions..

i am not telling you to buy one.  

you also have the option.. of using a 2x2 or 2x4 to balance on the end of your floor jack.. after you place a block off wood across to lift the front jack wheels off the ground.. so it cannot move...

please attempt to use flanged bolts... no longer than 5/8" into the block.. 3/4" might be the longest ... so you don't bottom the bolts out in the holes..  

65suburban2 65suburban2
Posted: 09/13/12
08:06 AM

Thanks Wayne. I was thinking about renting a hoist. Unfortunately right now, I don't have a concrete pad or driveway to do this on, but will figure out something  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 09/13/12
07:03 PM

in case you missed out...

the HF tool i mentioned..   you don't need anything firm under the truck.. if you can get under it without jacking it up...  this will do the job from above....

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html  

65suburban2 65suburban2
Posted: 09/15/12
11:40 AM

Thanks Wayne. I'm in the middle of moving to a new place that has a double garage, so when the move is done, I'll be able to get it fixed, and will definately get one of those tools. Been wanting one, now I have an excuse to get one, lol.