56 Chevy Truck Steering Box

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

56 Chevy Truck Steering Box

JP2111 JP2111
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 07/09/12
08:22 PM

So I just bought an ididit steering column for the truck and am having a hell of a time finding a steering box for it. Well, at least not without spending upwards of $500-600 for it. I need some suggestions, or some good methods for separating the stock steering column from the stock steering box because it is not presenting any obvious screws/connectors  to take it apart.

Thanks for the help!  

hotrodace hotrodace
User | Posts: 156 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 07/25/12
04:47 PM

JP, I responded to your message. Sorry it was so late. I been busy at work. Post some pics of what your doing so some of us can see whats going on. I started opposite of you. I started by fully modifing the suspension to corvette with a rack and pinion and kept the old column. I had to modify the bottom of the column with a bearing and race. I really can't remember how the shafts coupled. I seem to recall a rag joint and a splined inner shaft to a split outer shaft with a clamp.  

hotrodace hotrodace
User | Posts: 156 | Joined: 03/11
Posted: 08/01/12
02:13 PM

JP,.....I know u out there.......show pictures....and share some truck love.....whats happen'in over there.....???  Smile
I know this doesn't apply to your exact setup but this is whats going on with the '57 GMC
DSC01374
32" Ididit column with 2.5 drop bracket and lower foot mount bracket
DSC01376
Lower shaft 3/4" double D with Flaming River joint.
DSC01381
3/4" colapse shaft to 2nd joint I think was 20mm at corvette rack and pinion.