1983 FORD F-I00 REAR AXLE SWAP

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1983 FORD F-I00 REAR AXLE SWAP

Superougi Superougi
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 05/01/12
11:12 PM

WHAT AXLE CAN i SWAP INTO MY TRUCK FROM A CAR TO HELP MILEAGE AND LOWER THE TRUCK A COUPLE OF INCHES? THANKS  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 106 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 05/03/12
07:36 AM

first... you should already have an 8.8" rear end..  so swapping in something from a passenger car is NOT going to get you anything but problems as they will be too narrow..

there are other rear ends from various other trucks.. like 9 inch fords and dana 60s.. but ford went to that rear end for its light weight and fuel economy issues... as it has less drag to turn than a 8 or 9 inch ford.. and is a lot lighter than a dana 60..

now..   you may see me as a new member here.. but i work on a LOT of fords.. as i know feed back carbs and fuel injection really well...

which motor do you have???  

6 Cylinders 3 3.8L 2BL  this is a V6..
6 Cylinders Y 4.9L 1BL  this is a straight six
8 Cylinders F 5.0L 2BL  and you know this is a V8..

also is it a california emission truck.. look at the label on the radiator support..   can you photograph it.. and there should be a white sticker on the valve cover..  with a series of cryptic numbers and letters on it..  

83 is a year when there were a lot of variable venturi carbs used...  most with feed back..   the straight six also had feed back on some models..

these are NOT easy systems to diagnose and work on.. and they have to be EXACTLY right.  or they won't work..   i have a significant amount of info on these..

another thing..  Do you have to SMOG test your truck???  this is a HUGE issue...

there are ways to upgrade all three of the motors to something that might get you better fuel economy.. but they may not be cheep..    

for the V6 and V8.. you can go to one of the bolt on fuel injection systems..  bolts right to the existing intake..

for the straight six...  thats a little  harder..  but not impossible.. as ford used the 4.9/300 six until 96.. and 92 up had PORT FUEL INJECTION..  and there are headers available also for the straight six.. .. you do have to use extreme care when installing the port fuel injection as the factory exhaust manifolds crack and break..  and the mounting ears break off the aluminum lower plenum .. but if you have the piece.. a welding shop can reattach it.

lowering that truck is done with the springs and matching slightly shorter shocks.     there might be lowered spindles for the front.. i have not checked.. lowered spindles allow some movement of the front suspension..  verses riding on the suspension snubbers..