1958 GMC Cameo Extended cab

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1958 GMC Cameo Extended cab

ajshot58 ajshot58
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/14/12
07:00 PM

I am planning to build what I believe to be the ultimate pickup... a 1958 GMC 4-door extended cab Cameo (Suburban) pickup. I am seriously considering using fiberglass cabs/doors/dash/front clip from US Body, for several reasons: 1. I don't want to "desecrate" original Work Force trucks; 2.'glass is easier to customize; 3.No rust issues; 4. truck would be lighter. This will be built on a custom-made frame, with IFS suspension, a Corvette-based IRS, a supercharged, TPI equipped 409 (yes, a REAL 409), and a 6-speed transmission. I want this truck to look as if it could be original, at least from the outside, but having all the latest handling, performance, and comforts possible. I have a "photoshopped" picture of what I am striving to create as my avatar..... any comments?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/28/12
08:27 AM

I think this idea is good. If I had to build the cab myself, I would have to do some serious hands-on research before deciding fiberglass was the way to go, though. Too bad the pic is so small, can't see much. I would like to see short rear doors and no exterior rear door handles plus I think the overall profile of the truck should visually echo the proportions of a modern extended cab truck. The blown TPI 409 might be more trouble than its worth for the sake of cool factor (don't get me wrong, the 409 would look sweet), I would be just as pleased by other engines. Maybe stick to the Corvette stuff there, like this guy ...  

7 25 2011%20077  
idrivejunk