Suspension Upgrade for 49 Chevy Truck

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Suspension Upgrade for 49 Chevy Truck

MattCrunk MattCrunk
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/03/09
04:23 PM

I have a 1949 Chevy 3100 that's complete and original but not running. I also have a Chevy 305 and 350 tranny I pulled from a '78 Camaro, along with the complete subframe and rear end.

My goal is to use the Camaro engine and tranny in the truck, add power steering, and lower everything to a nice aggressive stance.

Here's my options:

1. Keep the original truck frame and suspension. Use available motor/tranny mount conversion kits, power steering adapter, and dropped axle/spindle kit to get the lowered stance.

2. Graft the entire Camaro subframe underneath the truck(a pretty common and easy swap I'm told), thereby utilizing the entire Camaro drivetrain/suspension as a whole.

3. Go with an IFS (Mustang II style) made specifically for the application.  

mpayne mpayne
Administrator | Posts: 561 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 07/07/09
04:32 PM

Whats your budget like for this truck?  

MattCrunk MattCrunk
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/11/09
07:37 PM

I can afford to spend whatever I need to on this truck to get it right, but at the same time I don't want to spend more than I have to. This truck will be a driver. I don't want a rat truck, but it doesn't need to be a show-stopper either. Body-wise I plan to keep it pretty stock except for shaving off a few badges and lowering it.

Since I already have the Camaro subframe, that would probably be the cheapest option. A fab shop has already quoted me a price for the work on that. But they also quoted me a price on a Mustang II front end, complete and installed, that was reasonable and still within my "budget".

Overall I'd probably like to keep the build to under $10k if possible, not counting what's already been invested in the truck and the donor Camaro.  

mpayne mpayne
Administrator | Posts: 561 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 07/14/09
12:05 PM

Since the quote on the Mustang II is in your budget that seems like a good way to go.  

Bears38 Bears38
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 09/26/09
05:44 AM

I have a '49 also and after looking into the same options you are considering   I went with a mustang II type front end (Heidts). I didnt get crazy with aftermarket A-arms, springs ,etc. but I did use a tubular lower strut rod replacement that eliminates the rubber "biscette?".   The problem I see with alot of sub frame swaps is that they are too wide and should have been narrowed to keep the wheels inside the fenders, But thats what I think looks best , some people might like the jacked up - tires sticking out look .  I am still using the stock rear springs with lowering blocks but as soon as I can afford it I'm gonna try the "Posies slider" springs and hopefully eliminate the lowering blocks .