1956 ford f-100 educate me please!

Custom Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1956 ford f-100 educate me please!

mark74 mark74
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/19/09
04:33 PM

I just got this truck and know nothing about trucks least of all one this old. my uncle gave me the truck, it has a 9- inch rear, volare front end that is not complete, ( the brackets that the gear box mounts to need to be welded on ) no motor( what can i put in it? what did it come with? ) needs  transmission, and i am missing alot of the bolts to the front clip. I can't seem to find a manual on this truck. is there one? haynes or chilton? this truck could be nice but i think im over my head, i am a mopar nut i love speed. my uncle has numerous vehicles i would like, i think he is testing me with this before he will let me at one of his other cars . can anyone help me get this truck back on the road? mark -- email-- darknesses@att.net  

John Gilbert John Gilbert
Guru | Posts: 1148 | Joined: 08/06
Posted: 04/20/09
03:51 PM

What engine and trans did it have in it before?  

jalopy45 jalopy45
New User | Posts: 40 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 04/21/09
09:30 AM

The engine bays in these trucks will allow you to install what you want.  There are some books out there (Tex Smith Books?) that deal with 53-56 trucks, search Amazon.  Speedway Motors and Bob's F-100 make/sell tubular motor and transmission mounts that can be welded or bolted into your frame for most Ford and Chev engine/trans combos. I probably had a 272 Y-block or 6 cyl in it originally.  

rockher_man rockher_man
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 01/06/10
10:36 AM

Do NOT screw this truck up!!!

You really do not realize what it is that you have just aquired...do you?!

The '56 Effie is one of, iF not THE most, sought after F100 ever built hands down!

You might want to find one of these...

100 1603

1956 Ford F-100 Pickup
What was it about the 1956 Ford F-100 pickup -- the 1953-1956 Ford pickup, in fact -- that brought such instant acceptance and went on to make this a heavy-hitter among fans of classic trucks?

It wasn't power, at least initially. The 1953 Ford F-100 pickup still had the familiar flathead V-8, over two decades old. The bigger lure was style: a tough, solid, ruggedly handsome vehicle, with a new setback front-axle that gave it a nose-heavy look, as though it were hunkering down.

Red56effie

This 1956 Ford F-100 pickup was among the last of the classic rounded-form
Pickups and a treasure for it.
Note the period-trendy wraparound windshield.

The Y-block V-8 (1954) opened the way to performance. More creature comforts and improved styling (1955) gave the truck a civilized air. As with its cars, Ford emphasized safety in the 1956 Ford F-100 pickup, with such standard features as an energy-absorbing steering wheel and double-grip door latches. Also new was a 12-volt electrical system.

Styling changes introduced with the 1956 Ford F-100 pickup included another new grille, fashionable wraparound windshield, and optional wraparound back window (just $16 extra). The dashboard, with its car-derived hooded instrument panel, was a neat if spartan affair.

The year's major option, as in 1955, was the Custom Cab package comprising 14 "luxury" accessories and snazzier trim. The pickup's base price had risen considerably, to $1,580. That sounds like pocket change by today's standards, but customers thought it was expensive in 1956.

The 1956 Ford F-100 pickup also had a new optional V-8, bored and stroked to 272 cid as in Ford cars. Rated at a potent 167 horsepower, it made the 1956 F-100 the most powerful pickup in Ford history.

Sales sagged in 1956 generally, and only 137,581 pickups were built. Still, Ford held a healthy 27 percent of the truck market.

Collectible Pluses of the 1956 Ford F-100 Pickup
· Strong collector interest
· Reliability
· Ready supply of inexpensive replacement parts
· A mid-1950s truck with full-length running boards

Collectible Minuses of the 1956 Ford F-100 Pickup
· Hard ride
· Not as stylish as rival 1956 pickups, but a more-classic truck look
· Pricing reflects popularity

******HERE IS A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION FOR YOU**********

What makes an ’56 F100  “Custom Cab” ?
One of the primary features of the custom cab was that the seat had full foam padding instead of springs and cloth padding. The custom cab also had red or copper tone bolster and facings (whatever those are) to harmonize with exterior finish.

In addition to the rubber seat foam filling and color keyed upholstery, door trim and hardware headliner, there was sound deadener on the floor and rear cab panels, armrest on the left door, a dome light in the cab with automatic door switches, twin sun visors, cigar lighter, fiberglass insulation on the forward cab wall, and  extra chrome on grill.  And of course the Custom Cab Chrome door emblem under the window.

In 1953 there were "Cab Customizing Options" such as dual door locks, dispatch box door lock (true - it says that) twin electric horns and bright metal exterior trim and hardware. (It doesn't mention if these continued on to 56 but I would assume they did.)

The custom cab could be ordered in a two-tone paint combination of any body color plus a white roof and upper back panel.

The Magic-Aire fresh air heater system was still listed as a separate option, as were the full wrap around window, and chrome window trim. It goes on to say that these were all options available on any F-model truck.

It looks very much like the custom cab followed the "Extra Driver Comfort" theme of the "Extra Cab" of the 51/52 models. (Self-canceling turn signal switch built into the steering column?)

Headliners were different for a CC but no one is reproducing the Original style for the CC trucks.

As a note, some of the "Dealer Available Options" on the 56 model were: Seat covers; splash guards and brackets; "See-clear" windshield washer; reflector flair kit; truck road lamps; hand break signal; fire extinguisher; extension arm mirror; mirror arm brace kit; front tow hooks; speed governors; flashing stop light; locking gas cap; and engine compartment light.

1953 and '54 did not have "Custom Cabs". In '53 and '54 they built a standard cab and a "Deluxe cab" with basically the same features mentioned above. The name Custom Cab appeared in 1955.

Standard cabs had black vent frames and divider bars and no bright drip rail.

51/52 were "Five Star Extra Cabs;"
53/54 were "Deluxe Cabs;"
And 55/56 had "Custom Cab"

A slight extra cost gave the following customized added benefits:
Foam rubber seat padding;
Thermo-acoustic headlining backed by sound absorbing glass wool insulation;
Sound deadener on the floor and back panels;
Two tone seat upholstery and interior trim;
Two sun visors;
Two arm rests;
Dome light with automatic door switches;
Lock on the dispatch box and both doors;
Twin electric horns; and,
Appealing chrome or bright metal hardware and exterior trim

1956F100 Custom Cab Featuresdoc

All 56's have the carriage bolts, Once the 56 style hoods were in production, they were the replacement hood for the 53-55's.

The 56 hood Part number B6C came drilled for the front hood emblem but not the side emblems. depending on the model year truck it was going on it had to be drilled for those model year emblems.

Oh yea...THIS is what MINE is in the process of being rebuilt to...

Back to it's oringinal glory...right down to the original Red & White Colors!

1956F100 Custom Cab Featuresdoc 2

Of course...everything...and I mean everything...mechanical is being updated for
saftey, as well as performance, reasons and will soon be roling on 4-wheel power disc brakes, small-block Ford stroker motor, AOD transmission, a few Art Morrisom
frame enhancements to help tie-together the rear parallel 4-link & huge frame step-notch for the Firestone bags to help everything clear the axle-housing.

Art Morrison C Notches

Total Cost Involved Mustang-II style tubular-arm Independent Front Suspension
on Firestone bags as well.

TCIIFS

This is what the air-spring option looks like for this TCI M-II IFS...

Retrofitairspringkit

I removed the Spicer/Dana-44 rear end and replaced it with a 9" unit COMPLETLY rebuilt with new FRPP Trac-Loc Differtial and my new Dutchman Motorsports axle "kit" is on the way...

"What" do you want this truck to "do" when it is finished?

-

Good luck man...and please....do not let this truck go to waste...
-  
"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

-Henry Ford

mpayne mpayne
Administrator | Posts: 561 | Joined: 10/07
Posted: 01/07/10
03:59 PM

Great info rockher_man. Hopefully it wont get ruined.